L2 Spouse and Children

The L-1A or L-1B employee may be accompanied or followed by his or her spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age.  Such family members may seek admission in L-2 nonimmigrant classification and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee. 

If family members are already in the United States they need to apply for change of status within the U.S. Spouses of L-1 workers may apply for work authorization.  If approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the L-2 spouse may work.

L-2 status is free to change his status to an L-1A or L-1B because the time spent in L-2 status is not counted toward the 5/7 year maximum in L-1s.