B1/B2 Temporary Visitors

B-1 or B-2 visa is issued to an alien who has actual dwelling place in a foreign country (need not have own home), has no intention of abandoning foreign residence and is visiting the U.S. temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure, tourism or medical treatment (B-2).

B-1 Business visitor is coming to the U.S. to engage in commercial transactions not involving gainful employment. Business visitor may study if it is part of work or recreational activities. Business visitor must have definite goals and plans to accomplish these goals. May come to participate in scientific, educational, professional, religious or business conventions. Religious workers may qualify for this visa if they are coming for temporary missionary work not involving the sale or articles or solicitation and acceptance of donations where no salary/remuneration except expenses is received.

B-2 Visitor for pleasure includes tourists, those visiting friends/relatives, visitors coming for health/medical purposes, participants in musical, sports, or similar events with no remuneration.

Applying for a Visitor Visa from Overseas. Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply the U.S. Embassy or Consulate section with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence. An interview at the embassy consular section is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79, with few exceptions. Persons age 13 and younger, and age 80 and older, generally do not require an interview, unless requested by embassy or consulate.

Visitor Visa Extension. If you are in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa and want to extend your stay you must apply for the change of status before your authorized stay (denoted on I-94) expires. All papers can be filed either electronically by using USCIS ELIS (USCIS Electronic Immigration System) or mailed. You are not required to appear for an interview. You also are not required to mail your passport.